History About Taiwan Golf Club
In January 1927, the Club set out to increase the number of holes to 18. On March 21, green committee members Kui Yukisuke, Umiya Ayao, Ookoshi Ookura, Yoshio Hayasaki, Mimaki Toshio and others put the plan into practice. In May, the Club was registered as a foundation. In October, Chen Qing-shui returned to Taiwan after completing his studies in Japan and became the first golf coach in Taiwan. In November, the course was expanded to 12 holes, and in April 1928, that number increased to 15. In April 1929, a course with 18 holes, a par of 72 and a total length of 6,000 yards was completed. The Club’s 10th anniversary celebration party was then held.
The Course was severely damaged as it witnessed eight years of battles.
In 1941, the Pacific War broke out, leading to World War II. Because Taiwan Golf Club was located in an elevated area capable of safeguarding the Tamsui River Estuary, the Taiwan Straits and Danhai — the Japanese Army designated the area as a strategically important military base.
The Club originally intended to commemorate its 90th anniversary on October 30, 2009. However, Taiwan was severely damaged by a 7.0 magnitude earthquake on September 21. To help the victims in Central Taiwan and also show compassion and brotherly love, the Club chose to give away all of the budget allocated for the celebration to assist with the earthquake relief.